Drupal is typically referred to as a content management system, or CMS. Drupal is used by developers worldwide to publish their websites as well as utilize management systems, menu systems and add other features to existing websites. Drupal allows for contributors and web developers to add to existing projects wherever they may be via an Internet connection. Installing Drupal with HostGator is easy, since you can install Drupal with Fantastico or with QuickInstall as I will describe in this article.
Why Use Drupal
The flexibility of Drupal makes it a versatile CMS for developpers and contributors to submit to. Since the project is open source, it has many innovative features added routinely. There are many benefits that Drupal features; such benefits include flexible modules such as multimedia, rating systems, calendars, social media tools and more that can be integrated into one's website. Drupal is user-friendly considering that one does not need any programming skills, yet the software is compatible across various browsers.
How to Install Drupal with QuickInstall on Hostgator
Drupal can be installed through the QuickInstall tool available through your HostGator.com cPanel account.
- To get started, you must navigate to your cPanel web management account;
- Once there, find the "QuickInstall" icon which should be located in the "Software/Services" section. Click on the "QuickInstall" icon, and you will be transferred to a different page;
- Now, click on the "Drupal" link and then on the "Continue" on the left hand column of the page;
- Once on the next page, you must fil out a form to select where Drupal will be installed and configured. You must specify the directory location where you would like Drupal installed;
- You must enter a valid email address so that the administrator password for the Drupal account can be emailed to you. Once an email has been verified, you must choose a username and enter the name of your website (you will be able to change it later);
- The final step in the form is to select a timezone to be associated with the account. You can then click on the "Install Now!" link to complete the installation of Drupal.
After Drupal has been installed, you can continue the configuration of your new Drupal website. To do so, add ?q=user at the end of your website URL to access your administration page. You can use your username and password for your Drupal account to login to configure the settings for your website in your Drupal administration panel. The main page of the Drupal site or "My Drupal Demo" is where you can choose what you would like to do.
You can configure your website or enable additional components. Components that you utilize include menu management, page layout customization, site administration, access statistics and logging, multi-level menu system and support. Other options that are available include the ability to perform basic searches, user profiles and the ability to access various control regulations.
Installing Drupal with HostGator is very simple. To learn more about this information, read our HostGator Drupal Hosting Review.